Saturday, October 13, 2007

Self-Understanding

My studio class was assigned the challenge of creating a free-standing sculpture with eight self-portraits to allow others the opportunity to get a better understanding of us. I chose to make a very abstract sculpture, with emphasis on dynamic form and delicacy. The sculpture is made from metal mesh nailed to a wooden board. I applied a ribbon of plaster to draw attention to the shape of the sculpture, and fastened two metal rods in a curved, "X" shape to further illustrate the dynamic curves. The sculpture, itself, was very fun to design and build, but I had a great deal of trouble creating self-portraits to support it. My fear was that the drawings would take away from the sculpture, or accidentally convey a false statement about myself.

No comments: