Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Container for a Memory...




For this project we were assigned to create a container for a memory. Simple as it may seem, this assignment was quite challenging. I chose to contain my memory of visiting the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, where I rode in a hot air balloon. Because this is such a special memory, I had trouble convincing myself that I had done the memory justice. My goal was to allow the viewer the opportunity to experience looking up into a hot air balloon. At the balloon fiesta I was surrounded by incredibly bright colors as the balloons took off. The brilliance of these colors increased exponentially upon looking into the vast balloon- the light filtering through to intensify the hues. To allow my viewer this incredible experience, I set out to create an object that could mimic the light filtering through colors of a massive balloon. Through numerous iterations, I experimented with countless shapes and materials, including paper mache and fabric. My more successful materials were Mod Podge, resin, and tissue paper. My final iteration took shape around the glass of an oil lamp with a Styrofoam egg to round it off. I wrapped this shape in saran wrap, used Mod Podge to layer it with tissue paper, and painted several layers of resin over top.

1 comment:

Sara said...

These are nice! I especially like the 2nd iteration picture.