Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ode to an Eggplant





The bulk of this half of the semester has been spent dissecting, contorting, and abstracting a fruit/ vegetable of our choice, mine being an eggplant. The project, titled Nature as Teacher, forced us away from recognizable images and into the realm of abstract. We began by creating drawings and sections of our subject, zooming in to find even the texture of its fibrous innards.
We then created patterns, which we then contorted using an everyday tool. After choosing tweezers, I pulled, twisted, and picked at my patterns, and added grey scale to add interest. From our final pattern, we were instructed to make a usable space with an interior. The first pattern below was my pattern of choice, from which I created the following models. Difficult as it was, I learned a great deal from this project!
















No comments: